2/23/08

mc chris Ain't Nuthing ta Fuck Wit

mc chris, picture by CrystalzillaIf you've ever found yourself listening to Dan Deacon or Girl Talk, and thought to yourself, "wow, this is great, but I really wish that some short dude with an impossibly nasal, high-pitched voice was rapping about Star Wars or marijuana over top of it," then mc chris is for you.

In addition to being considered the Godfather of nerdcore, mc chris is also a featured voice on the greatest/weirdest cartoon of all time, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, as well as many other Adult Swim shows, thus making him a hero in my eyes.

I've heard him before, but I have to admit, I didn't really "get" mc chris until I saw him perform last night at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC as part of the Dirty South Improv Festival. (I'm down here with my improv troupe JINX to help represent DC to the state where I once met a smiling presidential hopeful named John Edwards. Ah, happier times.) Watching MC, as he's known to the hip kids, it was obvious that he was having the time of his life up on that stage, performing for a bunch of improvisers and whacked-out college kids who actually knew the words to his songs and were there to see him, not some headlining act. He put his heart into it, rapped like a pro, and told some great stories about life on the road. Even if everyone that came to the show with me left after about 4 songs, I had a blast. Props to my friend Nate for being on the mc chris bandwagon before it was cool.

For your listening pleasure: Fett's Vette off his album "Life's a Bitch and I'm Her Pimp":

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you down there in North Cakilaki protecting yo god damn neck! Rock on with yo bad self! Things here are good, aside from my computer suddenly dying when i pushed it forward on my carpet about 18" and it apparently static shocked something important... Gir!!! Nothing but love for yah though baby, and thanks for the shout out!