I've been a bit behind the proverbial 8 ball lately, but I didn't want to let yet another Friday go by without a Friday playlist, even if it doesn't auto-publish until Monday. I don't have enough gas in the tank [Editor's note: how many metaphors for tired/busy can I fit into this post? TBD.] to do big writeups about each song, but there's a few tidbits below.
I'm going on vacation tomorrow, but I'll be back before you know it with another Friday playlist, I promise. Enjoy!
- Great mashup of Dead Prez and a track off the new Grizzly Bear album. Catchy and fun, just like me.
- I think their album Lunglight contains half of a really great album (specifically, the 2nd half). The first half is forgettable, but this Velvet Underground-esque number clocks in at track 12 and is indicative of the greatness of that half.
- Another indie darling band that everyone else heard of first. They write pretty indie pop songs.
- I was very excited to hear that Viva Voce had released a new album, and the fact that it's meandering and has taken me several listens to really get into doesn't mean it's bad. I'm excited that they're trying new things.
- I love this band and their new album is awesome. This song reminds me of The Jesus & Mary Chain.
- This song by Crocodiles also reminds me of The Jesus & Mary Chain, which probably means I'm thinking of a different band.
- This is some band my brother told me about - this song is weird and pretty and reminds me of mid-90's fuzz bands like Hum.
- These guys remind me a lot of Los Campesinos, with the same love of wordplay and yelling. Good stuff.
- Another sad Scottish band. But a good one.
- Since I started with a mashup, it seems only right to end with one too. David Bowie + MGMT = good times.