8/25/08

The Hood Internet: Mashup Heaven

I stumbled on The Hood Internet recently from the Last.FM page for Broken Social Scene's "7/4 (Shoreline)" [Editor's note: the "7/4" in the title refers to the time signature, which makes the music geek in me light up inside]. I wanted to share the song with some people and this seemed like good way to do it, since nowadays Last.FM offers free full tracks for a large portion of their library.

While I was on there, I read the comments people had posted about the song. One of the commenters had posted a link to a beautiful mashup of this song with R. Kelly's "I'm A Flirt." I listened to it about 4 times in a row before getting back to something productive. I also took a little time to check out The Hood Interent's site, and in the process learned that they have a huge collection of free mashups available for download on their site. And most of them are pretty good.


The source material + the mashup


Steve Reidell and Aaron Brink, the DJs who comprise The Hood Internet, hail from Chicago and used to be in a rock band together there. You can feel the love for both indie rock and hip-hop in their mashups as each genre tends to get equal footing in the songs as opposed to one being used for a punchline. "Shoreline" is my favorite of theirs I've heard so far, but I've been impressed by nearly all of them.

Do you have a favorite mashup?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did somebody say "MashUp"????

Ohh hell yes!

Of course I'm a fan of the remix too...

http://ppelectro.blogspot.com/2008/08/trak-says-whoa.html

A-Trax Baby!

Molly Malone said...

i have no favorite mashup, but i'm always impressed by them. mostly 'cause it seems like inventive cooking to me: raspberries and basalmic vinegar? i never would've thought to put them together, but by god, they work!

in the meantime, thanks for clarifying the title of 7/4 (Shoreline). i kept thinking it had to do with independence day, which didn't make much sense to me as they're canadian. or at least this girl thinks they are.

Anonymous said...

I not only have no favorite Mashup, but I have no knowledge of any of the songs or stations you mention. However, I am a huge fan of yours. xo The Muralist