2/6/11

Sitting On The Beach

FAWM track #3 is done!  This is my homage to all the hat-wearing guitar players out there who spend their days looking good in their hats and playing their guitars on the beach.  Like this guy:

Sitting on a beach, wearing a hat, playing a guitar.

It's my personal shout-out to the troubadors so perfectly mocked in one of SNL's great recent sketches, "The Mellow Show."  I hate those guys, but without them I wouldn't have had my third FAWM track, "Sitting On The Beach."

I also hate mixing songs.  I like writing songs, I like performing songs, I don't even mind recording songs...but mixing remains in large part a hugy mystery to me, and I often end up with things are too loud, too quiet, too "it just doesn't sound right," etc.  There are tons of resources out there for people like me to learn and get themselves up to speed, but I am a lazy man, and I would prefer to just skip ahead to the part where I know all this stuff.  So if you're reading this and have the ability to do so, please invent that thing from the Matrix that allows Keanu to learn kung fu in a 20 second brain upload.  Thank you.



MUSIC
This song features the exact same chords as my much more meaningful song "Home Tonight."  I didn't intend to write two songs with the exact same chord structure, I guess I'm just not always as creative as I'd like to be.  I'm also not the pianist I once use, so feel free to mentally substitute a better piano solo after the bridge.


LYRICS
I woke up this morning, knew what I would do
It's the same thing every day
Packed up my six-string and headed for the beach
It's not that far away

I made sure that I had my hat
To keep the sun off of my face
'Cuz there's a place for everything, including this hat
And everything's in its place

[CHORUS]
Now i'm sitting on the beach, wearing my hat
And strummin' on my guitar 

The sun is shining, the people look good
Feel like I'm livin' in a dream
My hair is perfect and my body is tan
Like I stepped out of a magazine

I sometimes wonder if this is all
That life has in store for little old me
But then I remember that I'm wearing my hat
And everything's as it should be

[CHORUS]

[BRIDGE]
Sometimes overhead, a cloud passes by   
And a perfect little teardrop forms inside my perfect little eye
But then a breeze blows through and blows that cloud away
And then i'm happy, happy, more than I could say

The day is done, and I've had my fun
It's time to head back home
So I pack up my six-string and put on my shirt
My hat's still up on my dome

Well I don't button my shirt all the way to the top
'Cuz night time is party time it never stops
And I keep on my hat, 'cuz without it  you see
Well I just wouldn't be me no I wouldn't be me


[CHORUS]

No comments: